People are always looking for the easiest and fastest way to lose diet and they end up making the wrong choice. This is because most of the crash dieting solutions can guarantee you a quick weight loss, but they end up causing a lot of harm to your body. To lose weight in a healthy manner, you need to follow a diet program which has been designed scientifically. Both Nutrisystem and Medifast are diet planner companies that have tried to help millions of dieters to lose weight steadily through low calorie diet plans. Whether Nutrisystem or Medifast is right for you depend on your health requirements and weight loss targets. For those keen to lose weight quickly, Medifast may be a better option because its meal plans aim at cutting down on your calorie intake drastically. In comparison, Nutrisystem will help you lose weight steadily; so, you can hope to lose only about a couple of pounds week. But, Nutrisystem meals are easier to follow and weight lost through these plans is easier to sustain.
Nutrisystem vs. Medifast, a comparative study:
- When you sign up for Nutrisystem plans, you will be provided with precooked meals that are low in calories and portions. The meals are delivered right to your doorstep and you are not longer expected to go to the groceries to buy ingredient for preparing meals at home. When you sign up with Medifast, this diet planner will also deliver precooked meals to your doorstep, but their precooked meals alone are not enough to sustain you for the whole day; you will have to prepare a single lean-and-green meal every day from the instructions provided by them. This means that with Medifast, you will still need to buy groceries and cook at home, even if it is a single meal.
- When you sign up for Nutrisystem meals, you can be sure of attaining your weight loss targets but it will take a while. This is because Nutrisystem meals will help you lose one or two pounds of weight at the most per week. But with Medifast, weight loss is much faster and the dieter can hope to lose nearly five pounds in one week of dieting itself. So, dieters are likely to get faster results with Medifast. But Medifast takes away carbohydrates from the diet and getting used to their meals may take some time for the average dieter. Since it aims to help the dieter lose a lot of weight at one time, the meals may not be enough for him and he is likely to experience fatigue and exhaustion. So, before you choose Medifast meals, you should ideally consult a diet expert.
- Nutrisystem offers a variety of weight loss options for its different categories of member. So, you can choose from men and women plans, senior and children plans, vegan plans and plans for diabetics too. In addition to these, there are other specialized plans like the more recently launched My Way and Fast Five Plans or the Turbo 10 Plan that aim to help the dieters shed a lot of weight in a shorter period of time. With Medifast, the options are not as many and there are only a handful of personalized meal plan options. You will get only about 70 menu choice compared to more than 170 menu options from Nutrisystem.
- Nutrisystem meals consist of foods which have low GI or Glycemic Index that will help to stabilize blood sugar levels. Their meals consist of more fibers and lean proteins which help to keep your stomach feeling satisfied for a longer time. The meals are both shelf stable and gourmet meals and you will not need to sacrifice your favorite foods just because you are on a diet. In contrast, Medifast meals are usually in the form of soups, shakes or puddings. The side options are either salads or cooked veggies. You will not get as many choices of menus as you can with Nutrisystem meal plans; neither can you customize the menus and include your own dietary preferences. Medifast meals believe in eliminating carbs from the diet at the start to kick start your weight loss journey.
- Changing from one meal plan to another is easy with Nutrisystem; you can even customize the menus from time to time when you are tired of eating the same thing. Going back to a regular diet is also easy with Nutrisystem because it aims to teach you healthy eating habits so that you can maintain the weight you have lost. However, with Medifast, the transition to self-prepared home-cooked meals is tough. You will also find it hard to attend social gatherings or dine out when you are following a Medifast diet program.
- Nutrisystem menus are not only tasty; they offer dieters a huge variety. So, you can customize meals and include even your favorite foods like pizzas and burgers in their meals. Nutrisystem encourage you to eat your favorite treats once in a while in moderation. All meals are portion controlled, something that you will not get with Medifast plans. Medifast also lacks the menu choices, most of their meals are in the form of nutrition bars and soups or puddings and shakes. In contrast, Nutrisystem even allows you to enjoy desserts like ice-creams and pies. The diet experts even encourage dieters to supplement Nutrisystem meals with low-fat dairy foods, fresh vegetables and fruits.
- While Nutrisystem meals are priced around $342 a month, Medifast meals are slightly more expensive. You will need to spend only about $11 a day with the Basic Nutrisystem meals and this is an attractive amount when compared to other diet planner meals. Besides, Nutrisystem offers very attractive savings offers and discount coupons from time to time.
- Nutrisystem also offers a handy DVD and workout programs for its members. Members are free to track their weight loss progress using online tools like weight loss charts available on their site. They can get free online counseling from certified diabetes educators and dieticians and can also interact with fellow dieters through online chats and forums. Medifast will provide an exercise guide but there is no handy DVD and members should ideally consult medical professionals before starting out on the programs.
Online reviews about both these diet planner companies reveal that while most Nutrisystem members claim that they have got positive results, Medifast members have provided mixed feedbacks. Medifast tries to make you lose a lot of weight in a shorter time; this is not only hard to achieve but even more difficult to sustain later. Nutrisystem is good for everyone but Medifast requires you to be fit and those with health problems may have to avoid such meal plans. Nutrisystem is popular because of its unique risk free guarantee that allows you to return their products within 14 days if you are not happy with the outcome. Nutrisystem will offer a complete refund for your purchase.