When you are suffering from diabetes, you need to follow a proper diet because it is imperative that you make the right dietary choices to keep the blood sugar levels in check. You are encouraged to eat healthy foods like fruits and vegetables, lean proteins, legumes etc. You can choose from the 9 super foods listed below to prepare healthy meals at home:
1. Beans: When you want foods that can elevate the blood glucose levels steadily, you must choose high-quality carbs instead of refined grains or sugary foods. You should try to combine these carbs with healthy fats and proteins. So, beans, whether you choose black beans, pinto beans, kidney beans, or soy beans, you can pair them with lean proteins and good carbs like soluble fiber to stabilize the blood sugar levels.
2. Non-fat Yogurt: When you choose fat-free yogurt it will have both protein and good quality carbs in it; so, this is an excellent dietary choice for preventing blood glucose spikes. Diets high in calcium are typically recommended for preventing Type 2 diabetes. The Greek non-fat yogurt is perhaps the best variety of this food because it contains nearly twice the amount of proteins contained in a regular yogurt.
3. Fish: Fish is considered to be one of the best sources of lean proteins; you need to buy environment-friendly varieties like cod fish, cat fish which can be prepared healthily by baking or grilling or roasting methods. A fish recipe can be prepared alongside vegetables and lentils to offer you a balance meal.
4. Oatmeal: When you choose a diet which is rich in fibers and whole grains, you can avoid getting diabetes. The healthy oatmeal is considered to be excellent for heart and loaded with soluble fiber. It will help to slow down glucose absorption from stomach food and keep the blood glucose levels under control. Oatmeal also keeps your stomach feeling full for longer hours and you can garnish it with healthy nuts like pecans and almonds.
5. Almonds: Choosing unsalted almonds may be a great diet choice for people suffering from Type 2 diabetes. Almonds offer a low-carb blend of monounsaturated fats with magnesium and this helps in carb metabolism. If you are able to include a high intake of magnesium in your daily diet, you can significantly reduce risks of getting diabetes. Other magnesium-rich foods that are diabetic-friendly include pumpkin seeds, spinach, Swiss chard etc.
6. Egg Whites: Egg whites have high-quality proteins and are low in carbohydrate content making them good for the diabetics’ diet. A large egg will contribute about 16 calories and give 4 grams of filling proteins which is why they are excellent for blood glucose control.
7. Non-Starchy Vegetables: Non-starchy veggies which are rich in vitamins and minerals, fibers etc like spinach, peppers, mushrooms and broccoli are believed to be great sources of high-quality carbs. These are rich in nutrients and low in calories making them suitable for a diabetes-friendly diet.
8. Salmon: This is another excellent diet food for the diabetic-friendly diet because it successfully prevents cardiovascular diseases in people already suffering from Type 2 diabetes. High sugar levels will lead to greater deposits of the fatty substances in blood and this may clog arteries with time. Sardines and wild salmon can help to slow down the carb absorption by the body and keep a check on blood glucose levels.
9. Avocado: Finally, avocado is an excellent diet food which is rich in monounsaturated fats. When you follow a diet plan which has more of monounsaturated fats and less of low-quality carbs, you can actually increase insulin sensitivity. The monounsaturated fats will improve your heart health which is most significant for diabetics.